The Block,The World Is My Block,Great Blogs,Blogging
Saturday 2 January 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Posted by Tahirah


Generic, cheesy  "Happy New Year" picture from BBC.co.uk


2010

Okay, so it's a few hours late but I've JUST fully recovered from the New Year celebrating (food, partying, food, loved ones...food.) I haven't even sent out the standard "HAPPY NEW YEAR" texts to the phonebook but I thought I better hit you readers up with a bit of reflective blabbering first.

Right now it's the weird period where you're still relaxed/fat/broke from Christmas and you reflect on the past year while declaring the new year will be "YOUR" year while making (and breaking) your resolutions (*side-eye* I see you reaching for that slice of cake while you read this).

It's funny because even though I was an 80s baby and a 90s kid, it's been the noughties that's taken me from awkward adolescence to the Amazing Tahirah who blogs before you today. I can't envisage another era in my life presenting me with such a steep learning curve.

But beyond my personal journey the NOUGHTIES have been pretty darn crazy. From the inception of the 5-minute celebrity (thaaaanks reality TV/internet); New York's 9/11 and London's 7/7 making terrorist attacks more than a "3rd-World notion" for most of us; Hip Hop "growing up", with rappers owning a slice of Wall Street as well as dominating the charts; the UK developing a viable urban music scene; the world plummeting into recession and America getting a Black president - 1st January 2000 to 31st December 2009 won't be forgotten.

Take a minute to read the Block's end of year/decade lists courtesy of Lady V, Simone, Bougie and Nee-Nee. 

Moving on to the next, 2010 is here and in full effect - [un]fortunately without any deadout catchphrases like  two-thousand-and-mine (2009) or two-thousand-and-great (2008) but I think I have good reason to think this year will be A MADNESS!

My final thoughts on the new year is a nugget of advice - it might be a new year, but it's also the first day of the rest of your life just as everyday is. If you wanna make shit happen, waiting for the date to say 1st of anything isn't the way to go about it.


Happy New Year Foo'!  

0 comments: