The Block,The World Is My Block,Great Blogs,Blogging
Friday 13 November 2009

Tahirah's World: Friday the 13th

Posted by Tahirah

I'm not the superstitious type.

I don't believe a day and number could allude to instant bad luck so Friday the 13th is meaningless to me.

But according to THESE GUYS, Friday is the most unlucky day and 13 is a classically unlucky number, going back from Bible days so the marriage of the two is just asking for trouble. And many parts of society unknowingly adhere to this fear of 13:

More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor.
Many airports skip the 13th gate.
Airplanes have no 13th aisle.
Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13. (eh? are they sure about that?)
Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery.
Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue

& my favourite...

If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names.

PAR! I know you're now sitting and doing a letter count on your name.

Anyway.

The twitter crew are already starting to tweet about their "bad luck", getting wet in the rain without insufficent attire (because that's obviously because of Friday 13th - not because you didn't check the weather!), trapping body-parts in car doors, losing keys etc, etc...

Because I'm a "non-believer" I'm going to try and defy the theory, seeing if I can create GOOD luck by doing the stuff that's supposed to be bad luck.


I'll be:

1. Looking for a ladder to bop under
2. Smashing mirrors
3. Watching horrors - obviously starting with Friday 13th (me and Jason will be jammin today)
4. Dashing salt over my shoulder
[insert 5-13 more "unlucky" things for me to do here]


Let's see what happens by the end of the night! In the mean time though, let's rock out to Stevie Wonder's Superstition.








0 comments: