The Block,The World Is My Block,Great Blogs,Blogging
Friday 24 July 2009

The "Industry" Cheek-Bump

Posted by Tahirah

So this week I've gone to a couple of those industry things - including Young Nate's listening party - his EP 'A Piece Of Me' is out now and you should buy it innit - click here for the play.commage one time. Anyways, it has led me to trying to understand the psychology behind the standardized "industry" greeting.


The CHEEK-BUMP.

Let me explain the art of the cheek-bump. You see someone you know across the room so you go over. You don't wave. You don't hug. You don't kiss cheeks. You give a half-limp pat-hug, where you stand with your bottom kinda cocked out so there is some distance between you, then you offer your cheek and your cheek-bones bump affectionately. Then you gush, "how are youuuu?"
See, I've only just got it down to a pat so sometimes I get it wrong. Sometimes I accidentally give a real hug, or I give a peck on the cheek and then I get a fleeting look of horror/perplexity from the recipient.

It's not my fault. I'm still a bit confused by the overly-contrived greeting. I like proper hugs, proper kisses, proper handshakes and sincere greetings - the cheek-bump isn't really any of those things. Can someone explain what the bumping of cheeks is meant to represent?

...That said...with Pork Flu flying around I understand not wanting to get too close with any real bodily contact. How about we just wave at each other? Yeah? Safe.

0 comments: