The Block,The World Is My Block,Great Blogs,Blogging
Saturday 4 April 2009

Havana Rumba

Posted by Tahirah


Tonight L-Boogie (known to you as Lauren, who you can catch co-hosting my chat show every Thursday at 9pm GMT on www.bangradio.fm) took me to Havana Rumba at the Riverside Studios in Hammersmith.

"Havana Rumba is the story of people in the street, for the Rumba is the music of the street, the dance of the marginalised, the poor black people of Cuba. Born in slavery, Rumba brings freedom and escape from everyday life."
(Quote from the official website)
The show was brilliant! I left feeling like I'd had a taste of Cuba injected straight into my body. The performers were on point, and everyone left with a real feel-good factor - my only criticism is that there wasn't enough exploration in the storylines, and for such powerful links to slavery and hardships to be dialuted with so much dance was a bit of a bummer. That said, it didn't detract from the piece too much and I'd DEFINATELY reccomend it!
CLICK HERE for more info on tickets - the show is on until 3rd May 2009.

0 comments: